Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Why Not Hillary?

Because, honestly, I am tired of the Hillary and Bill show.

I remember when Bill (you don't mind if I call you that, do you? You were always a shirtsleeves rolled up kind of a guy) was first running for the Presidency and I called another savy political woman friend of mine. "I don't know", she said "I don't trust him. I don't trust his thing around women."

She certainly was right on that. How many months of precious collective time and consciousness did we have to spend dealing with Bill's "thing around women?" Bright he may have been but surely we all know the meaning of the word "is".

Retire gracefully please. Your personal conduct was a national and international disgrace.

Gloria Steinem (deep bows to you, much respect, great gratitude) is supporting Hillary in part:

I’m supporting Senator Clinton because like Senator Obama she has community organizing experience, but she also has more years in the Senate, an unprecedented eight years of on-the-job training in the White House, no masculinity to prove, the potential to tap a huge reservoir of this country’s talent by her example, and now even the courage to break the no-tears rule.

I resent the implication that the job of "wife" to the President is on the job training to be the president. Where are our boundaries here? Are we not tired of dancing backwards in high heels, manipulating and manovering the men in our lives to do the actions we want them to? No wonder so many kids are on drugs.

Not good enough for me. My deep feminist spirit is appalled at the way she allowed herself to be humiliated in front of the world. Why didn't you leave the guy? I don't think that Mrs. Clinton set a good example to our daughters, withstanding public humiliation and abuse for the sake of ....what? exactly? My answer is : her own political ambitions.

I have my own dysfunctional family. I don't want to have to observe yours - once again.

Certainly men (and women) are behaving badly all over the world. Some of them are even making war on foreign countries that did nothing to them, all for the sake of oil.

Does anyone believe that Mrs. Clinton would have been elected as Senator from New York, a state in which she had no roots, no kinfolk, had she not been married to a former president?

What are we, Argentina? Pakistan?

Could anyone even tell me what Mr. Thatcher looked like?

Let us wait for the right woman. One who made it to where she is under her own steam, her own power. Take a look at Chile. That's the kind of woman I want and I am prepared to wait for her.

Nor do I support Senator Edwards. My primary reason is that I lived in North Carolina when he was our "Senator " The consensus among my friends was that he did nothing, absolutely nothing, for the state, for his constituents. What he did was position himself to get noticed in Washington, to get on the ticket as the Vice Presidential candidate. Too lean. Too hungry.
Nor do I like his tone - his "them is the bad guys we is gonna get 'em" brand of populism. He has an "axis of evil"mentality.

But more that that: Senator Edwards, your wife is terminally ill.

I do not wish to witness the public demise of a First Lady. Take her home and let her last days be in peace with you and your children.

Barack Obama is my only choice.

I do not think that I could bring myself to vote for a Republican.

But I might just not vote - for the first time in my long and politically active life.

Ah - say it ain't so.....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Don't vote it only encourages then"

That saying is making more sense every voting cycle. The voting is more openly(?) corrupt each time. We only have the pretense of a democracy. Maybe the Amish have the right idea in removing themself from the world, if thats what they are doing.

Still have a long way to go before we have to decide so don't let yourself peak to soon, we have a long way to go.

Peace

Glenn