JACMEL: New route established for medical teams and much needed supplies
Tue, 01/19/2010 - 10:32 — melindayiti
As of yesterday we have a new route in place for teams to travel into Jacmel and points south over sea. This is how it works:
1. Teams travel to Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic by private or commercial plane at their own cost.
2. Our coordinators in SD, working out of the FUNGLODE office, arrange transport of teams to the port at Pedernales, Cabo Rojo.
3. If major supplies are coming in, we have a trucking company and warehouse, Atlantic Packaging Company, on hand to meet planes, unload supplies, transport to the port or safeguard in their warehouse.
4. DR Navy boats will take our teams and supplies directly to Jacmel as soon as we make them available at the port in Cabo Rojo.
We are investigating now the possibility of sending teams to an airport closer to the port in Pedernales but have no confirmation yet.
It is now time to start mobilizing people in the US who have collected major amounts of medical and emergency housing supplies to get them on the ground in the Dominican Republic and coordinated onto boats. The Dominican Republic has generously made FIVE Navy boats available to transport supplies into Jacmel for the city and surrounding areas, points south of PAP. The Atlantic Packaging Company is willing to support any and all transport/warehousing needs on the ground in the DR. We want to take advantage of this amazing opportunity to quickly mobilize teams and materials to people still waiting, seven days after the earthquake, for some relief.
If you have supplies or a team ready to deploy, please send an email to Melinda Miles, firstname.lastname@example.org and include the following information:
- Team Coordinator
- Location in the U.S.
- # of team members, names and specialties
- Date you could arrive in DR
- Date you would need to leave Haiti and be replaced by another team
- Materials/supplies you have collected and quantities (approximate weight or amount of space)
- Other information I should know about your team
* melindayiti's blog